Robert F. Garrison VFW Post 3350, E. Rockaway, NY
To foster camaraderie among United States veterans of overseas conflicts.
To serve our veterans, the military and our communities.
To advocate on behalf of all veterans.
The VFW post members and Auxiliary met in a place called the Dugout" on Althouse Avenue near Front Street. This place, once a steam mill and afterward a stable, was remodeled by the post members and served as a meeting place for several years. They were forced to vacate when the property changed hands. They moved about from place to place while still holding their meetings.
Our post members accepted the hospitality of the American Legion Post of East Rockaway and met in its quarters while the auxiliary rented a storefront at 30 Main Street and proceeded to conduct affairs to raise money for a clubhouse of their own. They were rewarded for their efforts.
The Robert F. Garrison VFW Post building was originally acquired through the enterprise of the Ladies Auxiliary years ago. The building was originally a seven room bungalow. Mrs. Ruth Ryan, then President of the Auxiliary, had the assurance of the members that a series of parties would be held for the purpose of raising money for an addition to the rear of the building for use as a hall for social functions.
As the building was nearing completion, the Veterans and Ladies Auxiliary members made donations of furnishings. The women completely furnished the kitchen utensils.
Our post has a strong membership and has received numerous community service awards for outstanding service. We will continue on this path for the forseeable future.
From the Brooklyn Daily Eagle - November 24, 1918
Corp. Robert F. Garrison of Co. B 107th Inf., only son of Mr. & Mrs. H. H. Garrison of Ocean Avenue in East Rockaway, New York was killed in action on September 27, 1918 in France during the First World War. He was the great grandson of John Alwaise, a French Huguenot, who came to this country in 1740, and also a descendant of Commodore Perry. When Corp. Garrison was only 18 he enlisted in the 23d Regt., but when a disability developed he received an Honorable Discharge. When war was declared he underwent a surgical operation and re-enlisted in his old command. The 23d became the 106 Inf. at Spartanburg and after eight months training he sailed for France on May 15th.
He was a member of the Field and Sea Lodge, F. & A. M., the Bethany Congregational Church and the Rocklin Club.
Robert was also a member of Hose Co. #1 located directly behind St. Raymond's School at 13 Grant Avenue, East Rockaway, New York when the tragedy struck.